February 2, 2011

I can't believe it is February already. Yippee!

I just love that January is behind us and Spring is getting closer and closer. I just love that it stays lighter longer now. I am so thankful that we didn't loose power and that the storms weren't as bad as they thought. I am glad I had today off so I didn't have to leave the house.

I went to the thrift store on Monday night and found some pretty material. The first two on the left are flannel. The rest are all cotton. I don't know what I am going to do with them. I think that is part of the fun. hehe. You just can't beat 4 yards for 4.50 I love it.
The only other exciting thing around here is the baby finches. This was a few days or so ago. I had planned on keeping a journal but didn't get that far. oops.
I have to laugh when I see this picture. I can just imagine that it is screaming help.........I am stuck in between all these silly eggs. GET ME OUT !!!! (Sorry about the poor picture quality. It is hard to take pictures while on a ladder, with the camera over your head, with the parents flying around squawking, while trying to dodge the wire cage)

Here is a shot with it's little mouth open.


This was just on Monday. I had checked the cage...all was well. I came back a few minutes later and this little guy was on the floor of the cage. I picked him up with a spoon and put him in this little cup and put him back in the cage. I thought since he was still moving I would give him another chance. I don't know if he just got pushed out or if it was an accident. I figured if it wasn't an accident he would be back on the floor when I got home. All ended well.



This is a shot from today. I thought that I had five babies that hatched but I could only see 4 today. I decided not to think about it too much. I only have one egg left that hasn't hatched. A couple hatched but were dead on the bottom of the cage and some never developed and some broke. I think she had laid 11 eggs total.




What is wrong with this picture? You guessed it this little guy should be in the cage. Larry was doing something in the cage and this little guy just flew right out. I couldn't believe it. Larry was on his way outside to plow snow on Sunday so he said let him fly around and I will catch him when I come back in. I felt like a challenge so I closed the dog door and locked the back door and went to it. I didn't want to take a chance that our "Bird dog" Carlee would sneak back in. She just watched thru the door. lol

I was able to catch him twice but didn't hold on tight enough. You guessed it he got away twice. I got a butterfly net out of the closet and finally was able to get him back in the cage. What a relief. Oh, guess what I found in the other finch cage today. This is the cage that holds the "mean Male" and the other female. Yep, you guessed it an egg in their food dish. I have read all these books and web sites that all said "If you don't give them a nest they won't lay eggs" Well I think it means they won't sit on them and they won't hatch(I guess) cuz I also found another egg on the bottom underneath the paper linning. Gee wiz. I hope it isn't in the water. All these babies in my house. What if it is in the water?

I hope you are having a good week and are staying warm. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you will come back soon. Lisa

2 comments:

  1. Its kind of funny - I am picturing you running around the house with a butterfly net. Good thinking to scoop up the little guy with a spoon.
    That is a lot of eggs. Just to be on the safe side --- I wouldn't drink the water!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Kim~ I got a visual of you and the butterfly net... hehe
    Your birdie babies are precious, Lisa~ do they make any noise? I love having baby chicks in the laundry room... I love to hear their peeps.
    Bless that poor little feller's heart that fell out of the nest... he sure was having a bad day! Glad you were there to come to his/her rescue.
    I love your fabric finds... wish I could come across stuff like that at the thrift store. The price of fabric is ridiculous anymore!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you came for a visit. I hope you will leave a comment. I love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...